Intermountain Rural Electric Association is currently seeking a team-oriented individual to fill our Distribution Designer II position in our Sedalia location.¬† With over 154,000 members, Intermountain Rural Electric Association is one of the largest member-owned electric utility cooperatives in the United States.
This is a regular full-time position working a 40-hour work week, Monday through Friday. Normal hours of business are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m, with optional 9/80 schedule.
Responsible to the Distribution Engineering Director for engineering tasks related to the design and construction of underground and overhead distribution facilities.
A bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or engineering technology is preferred with five years of experience in electric power engineering, construction and project management. Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Must have a valid Colorado driver’s license.
Duties require intensive knowledge of engineering and construction practices. Duties require a knowledge of utility design and construction specifications for 600 volt and 15kV underground and overhead distribution systems. Must have a working knowledge of N.E.S.C. and N.E.C. construction regulations.
Experience with construction procedures, terminology and job scheduling is required as is the ability to communicate directly with contractor personnel, developers, other utilities and Association engineers. Accurate coorespondence with Association members is critical.
Receives direction from the Distribution Engineering Director or other supervisors to define objectives and establish direction. However, the employee plans and arranges own work. Time management and individual productivity are important elements of this position.
Regular contact with other departments is required to furnish or obtain information. Outside contacts are commonplace. Regularly works with confidential data related to job cost, location of lines and equipment as well as schedules of construction.
This job requires normal mental and visual attention. The duties and tasks involve light work and may require the ability to lift a maximum of 20 pounds. Physical demands also include walking or hiking on all types of terrain. Working conditions are inside and outside, including possible isolated areas and exposure to adverse weather conditions.
Duties and Tasks
1. Performs engineering and inspections for new construction, conversions and system improvement projects.
2. Prepares engineering and staking documents which include drawings, calculations and outlines of required work, including a list of materials needed to complete the projects.
3. Coordinates the installation of underground and overhead systems. Inspects work completed by contractors and checks and reviews contractor billing data for
4. Coordinates mapping related to specific jobs.
5. Prepares cost estimates.
6. Inspects construction for compliance with Association specifications and Standards.
7. Prepares necessary documents and drawings for obtaining required construction permits.
8. Maintains financial controls on projects.
9. Takes action, where possible, to improve efficiency and productivity in performing job duties and tasks.
10. Answers questions from construction personnel regarding project scope.
11. Provides information to design personnel relative to design practices and material specifications.
12. Provides assistance to the Operations Department in regard to system problems.
13. Documents all inquiries and other correspondence from consumers.
14. Required to return to work in connection with call-outs and emergency situations when directed to do so by supervisor.
15. Performs other duties as needed and/or as directed.
Salary for this position is commensurate with experience. Intermountain REA provides an excellent benefits package including health and dental insurance, life insurance, Long Term Care, 401(k) plan, and a Defined Benefit Pension plan. Intermountain REA also provides a Health Savings Account with annual employer contributions.
If interested, please send us your r√©sum√©, cover letter and other relevant materials via our online Job Opening Form. ¬†You may also send your r√©sum√© to¬†Intermountain REA, Human Resources, Post Office Drawer A, Sedalia, CO 80135. ¬†You may also email your resume¬†to HR@IREA.coop. ¬†Pre-employment drug screening will be conducted and background check will be conducted.
Intermountain Rural Electric Association is an equal opportunity employer.
IREA does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. All qualified candidates are given equal opportunity and selection decisions are based on job-related factors.