IREA’s customer self-service is not yet mobile-friendly. Please use a personal computer for easier navigation.

New Construction FAQs

Bringing electricity to a new construction site has its own set of procedures and requirements. Check here first to see if your question(s) can be answered. If not, contact Engineering Services at (303) 688-3100, Ext. 5302.

How does the builder order the secondary lateral?

A billing account must first be established. A Builder Lateral Order form should be completed and submitted to Engineering Services via email at

How long does it take to install my electric service after meeting with an engineer?

The time to complete a work order can vary, depending on the number of requests our Engineering Department has to process. An average time period from when a work order is requested to the installation of the electric line extension is eight to 12 weeks; however, this time period is dependent upon many factors.

The service has been inspected, but the meter has not been set. Why?

It could be that IREA does not have an account established for the service location; the building department has not released the address to IREA or the serviceman was unable to set the meter due to a conflict. You will need to call IREA Engineering Services for the reason for your specific address.

How is an easement obtained, if required?

The IREA engineer will provide the customer requesting the line extension with the necessary easement documentation; however, the customer is responsible for contacting the property owner(s) to obtain the required signature(s). Any questions regarding easements can be discussed with the engineer at time of design.

Do I have a choice of overhead or underground facilities?

The property owner usually has a choice unless there are existing county or city ordinances. If underground facilities exist for the tapping point, IREA does not install overhead facilities. During the design process, the engineer can offer different options; however, it is the customer’s responsibility to be aware of any restrictions.

Can I pay for the line extension with a credit card?

No. Payment must be made by check or cash.

Who do I call with questions about my construction contract?

Call Engineering Services at (303) 688-3100, ext. 5302, or (800) 332-9540.

How do I acquire a “Developer” or “Will Serve” letter?

Colorado Law requires developers to have a utility letter of agreement for local land use purposes. As such, the Lands and Rights-of-Way Department at IREA will review the project and respond to a “will serve” letter request. Contact our Engineering Services department for further information.

IREA's board of directors has approved changes to the association's rates and regulations that will go into effect in September. For additional info, visit our Rate Redesign page.
count down text hello