IREAs customer self-service is not yet mobile-friendly. Please use a personal computer for easier navigation.

Start/Stop/Transfer FAQs

When should I schedule my move date?

Service changes can be scheduled up to 30 days in advance. Peak times such as the beginning and end of the month can book up fast. Please schedule as far in advance as possible. We do not schedule these orders on weekends or holidays. We offer same-day reconnect service for an additional fee of $20 before 4 p.m. and $65 after 4 p.m. If the location is equipped with an AMI meter, the reconnect service fee is $10 before 4 p.m. and $20 after 4 p.m.

Is there a fee to complete a start, stop or transfer service?

A non-refundable fee of $5.00 will be charged to start or transfer service. This fee will be included on your first bill. There is no charge to stop service. There is a fee for same-day reconnects if the service has been disconnected at the address. There is no charge to reconnect service on the next available business day.

Does IREA require a deposit?

IREA requires a deposit for all new accounts in the amount of an estimated sixty (60) day bill, unless the account qualifies for a waiver. Please call Consumer Services at (800) 332-9540 for more details.

How do I know if IREA is my provider?

Ask your landlord or property owner, or check the meter at the premise. If you are having trouble locating this information, please call Consumer Services at (800) 332-9540.

How do I get service in my name?

Call our Consumer Services department at (800) 332-9540. Our call center is open Monday thru Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mountain Time.

How do I get service taken out of my name?

Sign into My Account or call our Consumer Services department at (800) 332-9540.

Can I have service at more than one address?

Yes. If you need overlapping time to move, just let us know the date you would like to start service at your new address and the date you want to stop service at the old address.

Can I have someone notified if I get behind on my bill?

Yes. A customer and another party can print and complete our Third-Party Notification Form, then return it to IREA via mail to P.O. Drawer A, Sedalia, CO 80135, via email to, or via fax to (720) 733-5872. The other party who signs will receive copies of any disconnect notices that are sent to the customer.

I’m a landlord. Can I be notified if a tenant falls behind on their bill?

Yes. Both you and your tenant must print and complete our Third-Party Notification Form, then return it to IREA via mail to P.O. Drawer A, Sedalia, CO 80135, via email to, or via fax to (720) 733-5872. As the landlord, you will receive copies of any disconnect notices that are sent to the customer.

Can you list more than one name on the bill? I need it to prove residency.

The primary account holder’s name is the only one that will appear.

My spouse called and you would not talk to them. Why?

IREA takes account security seriously. In order to protect your information, we talk only to the primary account holder, an authorized user or a joint member. Spouses are the only ones eligible to become a joint member. To make your account a joint membership with your spouse, a Joint Membership Agreement must be signed. If the primary account holder or joint member would like to authorize another person on the account, this may be done by calling Consumer Services at (800) 332-9540 or filling out an Account Authorization Form.

I’m a landlord, and when my tenant moved out the service was shut off. How can I prevent this from happening again?

For easier transition between tenants, sign up for our Vacancy Billing Agreement. The agreement authorizes IREA to automatically transfer the account to your name when a tenant requests to end service.

If IREA only does electricity, who do I call for gas service?

For natural gas, some of the area providers are Xcel Energy, (800) 895-4999, Black Hills Energy, (888) 890-5554, and Colorado Natural Gas, (800) 720-8193. The name of the gas company should appear on the front of the gas meter. Call a local propane dealer if your address uses propane.

Can I manage my account online?

Yes. You can log into My Account for online account management. To complete registration your account must have been billed at least once. Once enrolled, you can update your phone number and mailing address, get copies of your bill, and sign up for many of our free services, including automatic payments and eBilling.

What’s the easiest way to check my account balance?

You may check your balance by logging into My Account. You also may use our automated phone system to check your balance any time by calling (800) 332-9540.

What do I need to do to change my last name in IREA’s records?

IREA will need a copy of your marriage license, divorce decree or a copy of your updated driver’s license. Please also include your IREA account number. These documents can be mailed to Intermountain Rural Electric Association, P.O. Drawer A, Sedalia, CO 80135, faxed to (720) 733-5872 or emailed to

Does IREA offer any assistance programs?

No. However, IREA donates to and works with local agencies that help customers in need to pay their bills. To get a list of agencies, please call Consumer Services at (800) 332-9540. To apply for assistance through Energy Outreach Colorado, visit their website and click on Get Help, or call them at (202) 825-8750. IREA works with Energy Outreach Colorado by sending customer donations and matching IREA customer contributions up to $75,000 a year. If you want to help struggling families in Colorado, you can contribute to Energy Outreach Colorado through your IREA bill. Your donation is tax-deductible, and a receipt will be mailed to you through Energy Outreach Colorado. To sign up, simply fill out the form and IREA will send your donation to Energy Outreach Colorado on your behalf.

IREA's board of directors has approved changes to the association's rates and regulations that will go into effect in September. For additional info, visit our Rate Redesign page.
count down text hello